Category: Separation Agreements (“legal separation”)

Legal Separation: What is it and how do you get one?

Some of the more common questions I receive in my family practice revolve around the issue of obtaining a “legal separation”.

The issues related to marriage, separation and divorce in the Province of British Columbia are governed by the federal …

Passports for Children – Some Ins and Outs

One issue that I see regularly in my family practice is the difficulty in obtaining passports for children under the age of 16 years.

When parents are divorced or separated, the parent who has custody of the child is the …

Living Common Law: Big Changes on the Horizon

Under our current family law, when relationships break down, people who choose to live together rather than get married are treated differently than people who marry.

Married couples have had the benefit of Parts 5 and 6 of the Family